Sunday, September 30, 2012

Oh what a Day/Night

Ahoy!

How are you all on the lovely gray Sunday?
Personally, I feel hung over. Hung over after a hard day of making food, selling food and having a blast! Alcohol free. It was one hell of a day!

Taboo Eats, ladies and gentlemen. For those of you who follow me on twitter and Facebook may have had a bit on a annoyance with my constant promotion of this event. But you know what? I'm not even sorry, lol!

The Day started out at 8, in the kitchen of the old Jail in Ottawa. This is where we prepped for almost 5 hours. And by we, I mean myself and my helper... aka mom. We got to hang out with some of the other non-chefs/competitors. Let me tell you, that kitchen smelled like heaven. This lady, Anjana makes her own curry spice blend. I mean, just imagine the aromas in that kitchen!

The prep went as I planned, except for the dough. People who bake probably know that pie crust dough is extremely temperamental. After 10 batches, rolling, cutting and baking 300-ish pieces, we succeeded! I am never making pie crust again. lol I DREAMED about it last night!

The night of the event was a blast. We set up our lil booth with a bit of sass and girlishness. A lot of people tried our lil tart. The music was good, the people were great and I was with my best friends! What could a girl want more?



 


















helpers <3 Don't they look good in those aprons? Thanks g-mom!











At the end of the night, we decided to go around the other tables and share the few pieces we had left at our station. We got to do trades with the other non-chefs.

It was so much fun just to talk to them and share our experiences. Each and everyone of them were extremely talented and awesome people.

As for the dishes, if I had to pick just one, the mushroom risotto was A-MA-ZING. It's was gooey and warm and rich and mushroomy and freaking delicious.

Here is where it gets a bit ironic. The winner of the night was the only other Tart in the competition! Lol. Am I bummed that I didn't win? Not really. From the beginning I was doing this for the experience and the event itself. The guy, Justin, was SO happy and surprised that there was nothing else to do but to be happy WITH him and FOR him.

Oh and another awesome thing? All the left overs, whether they be from the prep or the event, went to the Ottawa Street Mission.

At the end of the day, life is about trying things that scare you and making it through. This is exactly what I did.

I am extremely proud of myself for even signing up! I am even more proud for making it to the actual competition. I am also so grateful for everyone that came out and for my helpers.
Carine, Stephanie and Louise (mom), I could never thank you enough for your help, your encouragement, your patience, your craziness and your love.



T'was a very very good night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment