Friday, January 13, 2012

Are we ready for a first recipe???

I just cannot hold it in anymore! Must. Post. One. Tiny. Recipe!

So here it is ladies and gentlemen! Recipe numero uno! Vegan "Tourtière'' (meat pie)

This recipe, I came up with about 2 years ago. And this year, I've shared with a few people. So why not share it with more? right?

So here's what you need :

- 4 pie crusts (I've been using Tenderflakes. The blue box is made with all vegetable shortening and is veg)
- 1 pack of Yves' vegan ground "beef", in original
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 big onion, diced (or 2 shallots)
- 6 small to medium white mushrooms (you can switch it up if you want)
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 2 tablespoons of ketchup
- 1 can of lentils (rinse them well)
- 2 tablespoons of ''tourtière'' spices (you can find them in any grocery store)
- fresh rosemary and thyme, chopped
- vegan butter for cooking.
- salt and pepper

















To start off, following the crusts' instructions on the package, bake two of the four crusts. Making sure to poke holes with a fork.

1- Saute the onion, garlic and mushrooms over medium-high heat until the onion is translucent.
















2- Incorporate the ground "beef" and rinsed lentils, stir.
















3- Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes. It's not meat, so all you need is to warm everything up!
4- Add water, ketchup, spices and salt and pepper and stir. I usually taste it at this point. You can add or adjust the spices to your liking.
5- Preheat the over to 350 and pour in the mixture in the two crusts that have been baked.
















6- Take the fresh thyme and rosemary and sprinkle some on the inside of the uncooked crusts.
7- Cover with the other two uncooked crusts. Seal the sides with a pinch of a fork, and poke a couple of hole on the top. You can also get creative and use a cookie cutter (as seen bellow).
8- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the crust is golden and crispy.


Take it out and enjoy! Oh and don't forget the ketchup. It's not tourtière without ketchup!

















It may seem like a lot of ingredients and a lot of steps, but they are so easy to follow that nothing can go wrong! The average grade out of 10 was 9.5, so I think it's safe to say you should try it!

Let me know how it goes!









2 comments:

  1. Yummy for the tummy. When I saw Beef in the list I was wondering what was up but then I remembered that I used to buy Yves Veggie Dogs back in the day and so it all clicked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was lucky enough to get one for Christmas for our diner and it is delicious i would defy people not to like it better then the regular meat pies . I admit i oer did it my poor daughter only got one piece and i got the rest its light and delicious .JC39

    ReplyDelete