Sunday, April 7, 2013

Fast Rum Ice Cream

Ever crave a bowl of ice cream but find you're out of it? Bummer. I know.
I was there just yesterday. I do own an ice cream maker, but you need to let it freeze for at least 16 hours.

But then I remembered hearing about "Ziploc bag ice cream".
It's sounded simple enough, I decided to try it out and to, of course, create my own version of it.

I was rummaging through my extracts in the pantry and came across a bottle of rum.
You know where this is going, right?

Rum ice cream. Oooohhhh yeah.

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup of COLD heavy cream (you can also use coconut cream, soy milk, almond milk, etc)
  • 2 tablespoons of honey 
  • 3 tablespoons of rum or 2 tablespoons of rum extract
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • 1 sandwich-size Ziploc bag
  • 1 large freezer-type Ziploc bag
  • Ice and 1/2 cup of coarse or table salt
The EASY steps:
  1. Mix cream, vanilla, rum and honey. 
  2. Pour into the smallest Ziploc, and seal it. MAKE SURE IT'S SEALED. lol 
  3. In the larger bag, fill about half of it with ice. (I used 4 full trays)
  4. Pour the salt over the ice, and quickly drop in the small bag containing the cream. Seal.
  5. Shake whatcha mama gave ya, for about 10 minutes. You'll notice that the ice in the bag is melting. The coldness of it is being transferred to the cream mixture, consequently, hardening it.

  6. After using all the elbow grease you have, check it. It should be slightly runny. You can eat it right now, or store it in the freezer for 20-30 minutes.**

  7. 20 minutes later, it's now ready! You can top it off with whatever you want, or eat it as is. I chose to add some chocolate chips and pecans. Yum!**
          

That's it! Easy, right? This is perfect for when you're in a pinch! Enjoy!

** Make sure to rince the Ziploc in cold water to get rid of the salt. Otherwise you'll have some pretty salty ice cream. Been there, done that ;)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment