Thursday, January 12, 2012

First attempt at blogging!

If you're reading this it's either because you're a friend of mine or you have stumbled upon this blog. Either way, welcome!

First off, I would like to apologies in advance if my posts seem a bit... novice.  It is my first blog, after all.

So, what is The Untitled Rox Project? It's a book, an adventure, an experiment and now, a blog.

It is a project that I've had my sights on for a very long time.

Ever since I can remember, I've always loved cooking. I cannot recall when or where I've acquired the knowledge, it sort of always been with me.

I remember being young and watching my parents cook. I knew what I liked and what I didn't like, but when you're a kid, you don't really get to say or pick what you're having for dinner.
Then came the day where I was allowed to use the stove and the oven. I must have been 11 or 12. I felt like a grown up.

I wish I could tell you what my very first recipe was.

So, keeping this in mind, as I grew older, I've tried to recreate recipes that I loved but... with a twist. I've bought a gazillion cookbooks over the years, only to realise I never actually opened one and copied a recipe word for word, ingredient for ingredient. A simple picture sparked some kind of creativity in my mind. Some times it worked out amazingly. Other times... not so well.

It's funny that the idea of being a chef never seemed to be real. It was more of a fantasy. Therefore, off to school I went. Studying subjects I didn't really care for. Sure graphic design lets me be creative, but not in the way that I needed to be. Working for a living was never my idea of a perfect life. At work, at my desk, I'd fantasise about opening my own bistro, and mentally planing and imagining the menu. Living in my mind. I even took a cake decorating class to try and feed this creative appetite I had for the culinary arts.

But why? Why would you dream just to dream? So there it was. I was motivated. I would write down those menus, make a book out of it. Share it. And who knows where it will take me over time.

That's what The Untitled Rox Project is about. FINALLY making a dream reality.

In this blog, I'll share recipes, concepts and comments I've gotten for them.

Maybe it will make you want to try them, or maybe it will inspire you to create your own. But most importantly, I hope it will make you pursue YOUR dreams.