Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Starstrucked and Mushroom Risotto

Hello my little Foodies!

I hope you have been doing good!

Before I get into the recipe, let me tell you about an amazing moment I had about a month ago.
I met one of THE most popular chefs in the WORLD. With 3 TV-shows and 2 cook books. Plus book signing tours, not to mention his two Montreal Restaurant, this man is crazy busy.

CHUCK HUGHES!

My close friends will probably tell you that I refer to him as my "future husband", but he really is one of my all time inspirations. That man has overcome great things and has managed to make a name for himself. His work ethics and his laid-back vibe is something I aspire to achieve one day.

Needless to say I was beyond nervous to meet this incredible man. It has been on my bucket list for YEARS. He walked out and my heart skipped a beat. During his speech, we made eye contact. (I like to think we had sparks) which made my brain go to mush. I was certain I wouldn't be able to hold any sort of conversation when I got to him.





I was wrong. Instead, like the fangirl that I am, I asked him how he felt about being told he was the best chef in the world. Awkward, I know. He noticed my cupcake tattoo (thanks Tif!) and we "bonded" on that.


Aaaaahhhh. Still reeling! I strongly advise meeting Chuck.

Anyways! Moving on to the recipe!

Yesterday was Monday. ew. But it was also a very sh....rubbish Monday. I was craving something comforting.

Then I remembered the taste of this amazing Mushroom Risotto I had at Taboo Eats last year, so I tried to make my own. I SUCCEEDED! It's definitely not hard to make... just very...very much time consuming. (that darn stirring!)

Your ingredients

  • 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
  • 2-3 cups, loosely packed, of a variety of mushrooms. I used mostly shitakes. 
  • 4 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large shallot, minced
  • 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
  • 3/4 cup dry white wine (you could use water)
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated 
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tablespoon of thyme
The directions

  1. Warm the broth in a saucepan over low heat.
  2. Clean and trim the mushrooms. Remove the stalks from any capped mushrooms that you have. Slice the mushrooms into 1/4 in pieces.
  3. In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons of the butter and the olive oil over medium-high heat. Stir in the mushrooms and cook until browned, 3-5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. At this point, you can remove some of the mushroom to keep for garnish.
  4. Lower heat to medium-low and add the rest of the butter and the minced shallot. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the rice to the pot and stir, coating each grain with butter and oil. When the rice starts to look translucent-clear, add the white wine and cook, stirring constantly, until the wine is absorbed.
  5. Add 1/2 cup broth (or a ladle)  to the rice and stir until the liquid is absorbed. Do so until the rice is al dente. So, 1 ladle-absorbed, ladle-absorbed, etc. Start tasting the rice when about 2/3 of the broth has been added. It's ready when you feel like it's the right consistency for you. I like mine a little tiny bit chewy, not mushy. This should take 30-40 minutes.
  6. When the risotto has the texture desired, remove it from the heat and stir in the parmesan. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as desired. Add the thyme.
  7. Warm you garnish mushrooms and serve! 

    It's a lot easier than it is made to look. This was my first try at risotto and I nailed it. (Yep, full of myself.. but hey! I'm proud!)

    Try it and let me know! 

    Ciao! 


No comments:

Post a Comment