Friday, February 17, 2012

Choco-peanut muffins

It's no secret to my close friends and family that the idea behind the Untitled Rox Project first started with a passion for baking. Specially cupcakes. Who doesn't love cupcakes? Crazy people, that's who. 

As I sat at home, feeling kind of blue and not myself, I did what I usually do to bring up my spirits. I baked. I made super delicious Choco-peanut Muffins. 

Now, I'm normally not a huge fan of peanut butter, though lately I've been craving it, but these muffins don't have the overwhelming taste of peanut butter. 

They are easy to make. They are sweet. And they pretty much cured my blues. 
So here you go, dear reader. Maybe you'll make this during your next ''me day''.


Ingredients :

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar (or any sweetener)
  • 2 tsp. Baking Powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tbsp. of cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts, or sunflower seeds, or pecans
  • 1 tbsp. of vanilla 
  • 1/2 cup of melted Peanut Butter
  • 1/4 cup melted margarine
  • 1 cup skim milk  
  • 2 eggs, beaten 
 Here is what you'll need to do. 
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 375 F. 
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the flours, the sugar, the baking powder, the cocoa powder, the salt and the nuts. 
  3. In the microwave, melt peanut butter (about 30 seconds) and margarine (15 seconds) SEPARATELY. 
  4. In another bowl, beat the eggs, add in the milk, the vanilla, the melted PB and margarine. Whisk well. If you notice that the PB doesn't dissolve completely, leave it. It'll just make for pops of flavors when you bite in it :)
  5. Incorporate the milk and PB mix in the dry ingredients and mix well. 
  6. Take out you muffin molds, pop in liners, or if you prefer, spry it with cooking spray or oil.  And empty the batter in each liner. Should make for 12 muffins. 
  7. Pop in the oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes. Or until toothpick inserted in centres comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 min. 
Now, you can either let it cool completely, or do what I do. Grab one that's still kinda warm. It's so much more delicious. Top it with the usual suspects: jam, bananas or even a chocolate spread.

This recipe can easily be made to be vegan (using soy, almond milk instead of milk-applesauce or crushed bananas and oil instead of eggs) AND sugar free just by switching some ingredients. It can also be made gluten-free by using different kinds of flours. Use the same amounts for either one of them as the original ingredients.

That's it! Enjoy! :) 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment